I seriously, cannot believe it, I feel like this is not real and someone is going to wake me up and say, you have just been punked!
One year? Like this year has been INSANE and that’s putting it lightly. It was like driving down the highway with no brakes and one headlight. I certainly had to learn how to trust the process and dig deep into my GRIT muscle to see this thing through. So what have I learned? In my six month update, I told you guys what I learned and gave the good advice….
You can read about my six-month update here: http://trinidadmogulista.com/5-things-learnt-blogging-tm-6-month-re/
Today I am writing what NOT to do, once you have launched your blog and stepped into your new business.
- DO NOT BUILD IT YOURSELF, especially if you have ZERO experience with building a WordPress site. Let’s be honest I had no experience with building a website, I thought well maybe I can DIY since everyone made it look soooooo easy but if you want to be taken seriously with these sites, do not, I REPEAT do not go down this rabbit hole of building it yourself. Listen, I could have saved a TONNNNNNNEEEEE of dinero if I had just handed over this site to the experts at first. Need an expert or two? Send me an email, I’ll link yuh!
- Do not try to do this all by yourself, I know that we all may think, hey I do not have the money to hire staff or I may not have the money to get an assistant, but within the first few months of blogging regularly here, I definitely have seen the value of having a top notch, high impact team with me. I know for sure that I would not have accomplished seventy percent of what has been done in the last twelve months ( wow, like 12 whole months, girllll).
- Do not launch everything at once, my t-shirt line is suffering solely because I am catching up to my Mogulista work so much and even though my team WERKSSSSSS! There still needs to be a major marketing campaign developed for my t-shirt line, a social media campaign and heavy promo done, to get these bad boys sold. Which should have been thought of BEFORE a single t-shirt was printed but hey- learning curve!
- Do not think you can just post anything on social media! Once you have started gaining traction from your blogging or anything else its a wrap on your posting, I have gotten calls, emails and messages asking if that post was about them, I was accused of stealing a name, I was accused of stealing a brand kit. Look, ALL OF MY POSTS are analyzed by a group of nosey people, who got time to burn.(Petty NIKI…bleh) . I also have to be careful with who I post with and how my brand is aligned, I swear I am on the verge of opening another Facebook account, where I can rant freely…. lol…. But you catch my drift….. Dorothy is definitely not in Kansas anymore……
- Do not take folks on their word, have them SIGN CONTRACTS, listen oh my gosh, humans ARE CRAZY. I am about to have a contract just to speak to me, lol… but my team would kill me. You will talk to folks at length and they would say yes, they want your service and then when it’s time to pay, they disappear like people’s clothes in the summer.Really? I think this hurt me the most, because I am girl of my word, like what you see, if what you get, if I say you will hear from me on Wednesday at 12:45 pm, then there’s where I am going to be! So when folks came off as frauds, it hurt…. but I learned!
- Do not become MACHO PACHO, I still blush when folks say “Mogulista” or they tell me how much they appreciate and follow my work! I’m genuinely floored when I get hugs in the street by you guys. Being humble is a big part of my personality and I vow to never let all of this go to my head! It’s critical for me to remain this #islandgirlmagic chick!
- Do not be closed minded, a lot of folks are looking for opportunities in the same place as everyone else and thinking that if the continue knocking this door, it’s going to happen. Throughout this journey, I have taken risks and was open to criticism, ridicule, and judgment but with that came love, comfort, and authenticity. You see, your blessings are FOR YOU no-one else, once you keep on the path that was ordained for you, everything will work out fine! Keep Shining my loves!
As I journey into this new year of entrepreneurship, I have to show gratitude to the one person who made all this happen. Thank you, Papa God, for your wisdom and patience that you have granted!
Happy Birthday, Trinidad Mogulista!
With love and hustle,